Google News organizes the world’s news and makes it accessbile for users. Therefore websites which want to be part of Google News and seek content and timely information have to follow the News guidelines:
Google News general guidelines:
- Sites should contain timely reporting on matters that are interesting to users.
- Focus on honest journalistic attribution and values.
- Show your clear expertise and authority.
- User accessible contact information and author biographies.
- Take care of readability, correct spelling and grammar and try to use clear language.
Google News technical guidelines:
- Use a clear article permalink structure.
- Use clear article links in HTML format to be crawlable.
- News crawlers can only read and include HTML articles, no PDFs or others.
- Robots.txt needs to allow crawlers access to your news content.
- Try to only use text and image content (Google is not able to index e.g. audio files yet).
Google News quality guidelines:
- Be user-friendly and provide high-quality user experience.
- Google News is not a marketing service.
- Choose proper meta tags and use news keywords or standout tags in a correct way:
Use the new Google News Publisher Center for verifying your website and review or update your news site details. If you are not verified yet you can follow the instruction in your dashboard and get a quick look on it in the screenshots below to see how it works.
Check it out and become a Google News Publisher!
Optimize the quality of your entire website continuously and improve your site and on-page SEO according to search engine optimization guidelines with OnPage.org!
Published by Daniel Herndler on August 6, 2014
Sign up and get latest SEO news via email!
Follow me and stay connected!